The following are extracts from a report on the church prepared for the 50th anniversary celebration in 1955.

The Physical Plant
Educational Facilities
Women's Clubs
      The Pilgrim Women
      Ladies Aid
      The Scrooby Club
This Is Our Town
The first 50 years


Three closely related buildings occupy the Congregational Church grounds at a prominent intersection on Lewis street, the handsomely landscaped boulevard connecting the center of Monroe with the Snoqualmie valley to the south.

The church proper occupies the corner position; the building was built years ago and though of no identifiable architectural style, it is attractive and picturesque. Its exterior walls are of a roughly textured, stone like cement block; window are Gothic arched; the steeply pitched roof is shingled. The building is pleasantly landscaped, many of its walls are vine-hung. Inside, a small vestibule connects the main doorway and the auditorium. This main church room has been extensively remodeled and refurnished during the past several years, and now appears warm, dignified, and contemporary, yet in harmony with the older building shell. The auditorium is plastered, its ceiling follows the line of the hopped roof above. On each sidewall is a group of three pointed arch windows, with an amber translucent glass. The chancel platform at the end of the auditorium is raised; on it, to one side is the walnut pulpit, on the other, the organ console.

Centered on the chancel platform is a large alcove, panelled in natural American walnut. The alcove contains the walnut alter, flanked on each side by the choir stalls (which seat approximately 16.) The entire chancel is carpeted in rich ruby red, as are the auditorium aisle. The new pews are walnut, to; they seat about 150, and are padded in a deep brown. Four large cylindrical brass chandeliers light the church auditorium. At the read of the auditorium is a small "crying room"; behind the chancel, connecting it to the church hall, is the choir room. The church is heated by its own automatic oil-fired warm air furnace.

Just south of the church, is a small grove of Douglas Firs, the new parsonage was built in 1950. It's a frame building, painted a soft yellow with white trim.... its roof shingled. A pastor's study opens off the entrance hall on one side, on the other is the living-dining room with fireplace, a pleasant bay window looking out across the boulevard. A folding door connects dining room and kitchen (there's space for a breakfast table in the kitchen). Laundry equipment and the parsonage automatic warm air furnace occupy the utility room. A bath and two pleasant bedrooms face the rear of the lot. The parsonage garage faces to the alley. The house is plastered throughout, its floors are of several handsome patterns of hardwood parquet, a folding stairway affords access to the large attic which was provided to offer either storage space or additional bedrooms, should they be needed.

The church hall lies directly behind the church itself, and fronts on the side street. Its main room is large, a two-store wood panelled room with exposed structural trusses. Centered on the wall opposite the entrance is a great brick circulating fireplace. Opening through sliding panels along one side of the hall is the church kitchen, with double sinks, a large gas range, ample equipment, counter and cabinet space. A meeding room with its own rock fireplace and piano also opens off this side of the church hall. The opposite wall is entirely of folding doors behind which are the two large primary department rooms, wood paneled, and with their own piano and furnishings. Surrounding the church hall on three sides of the second floor level is a long balcony, off which lie four class room alcoves of varying sizes.

Appraised valuation of chunch and hall     $42,000.00
Parsonage                                  $10,000.00
Parsonage encumbered by dept of            $ 1,400.00

Back to top


The educational facilities of the church are largely centered around the organ, the piano and the choir. The pride of the church is a find Wurlitzer Electric Organ. This has been available to adults and students alike for lessons and practice. Our organists and choir directors have usually been young people, or in many cases high school students who widen their ability and knowledge of music by "on the job" training and by learning to do by doing. The choir welcomes all who like to sing or who want to learn to sing.

Back to top


The recreational facilities of the church are largely arranged by the individual groups such as the Sunday School departments, the Scrooby Club, Ladies AId, and the Pilgrim Women. They arrange programs and parties according to the weather, the season and their age groups. The Sunday School arranges an annual picnic, usually in August.

This church is recognizes as having the finist kitchen facilities of any similar organization in this area. Other churches frequently use our kitchen and dining room because of its convenient and adequate arrangement. A very large gas range, an electric hot water heat make it an ideal arrangement for serving meals to groups of up to three hundred or more. The dining room will comfortably seat 125 persons.

The kitchen and dining area are also used for wedding parties, both for our own people, and those of other congregations. Both the Scrooby Club and the Ladies Aid cater for these affairs. This is a much appreciated service for the family that is in themist of a big wedding, and is probably not too sure just what comes next.

Back to top


This group was started in 1935 by Rev. Bradley and is composed of the older ladies of the church. Most of the members range in age from sixty-five to ninety. They meet once month and have about twenty members on the list. They pledge twenty-five dollars yearly for the support of the Church, raising the money from the sale of handiwork, quilting and luncheons. The highlight of their year comes during the holiday season when they prepare and serve a turkey dinner for their membership. Since this is the only activity many of them are capable of attending, it is always looked upon with interest by all the church.

These ladies have brought the railings for the church hall steps, the racks on the back of the pews, the stand for the Memorial Book, and brought the paint for the exterior of the church hall. Despite their ages they are a very active club, and regarded with awe and respect by many persons a great deal younger.

Back to top

THE LADIES AID ..........

The Ladies Aid of the Monroe Congregational Church has been a functional part of the church program for the past fifty years.

There are about thirty active members at the present time. Two ladies serve as hostesses on the third Tuesday of each month with the exception of June and July.

At these meetings plans are made for the various projects; a major one is planned for every other month. The purpose of these activities is to raise money to help meet the expenses of the church, and to assist in various charitable requirements.

Back to top

SCROOBY CLUB ..........

The Scrooby club was started in 1943 by the young women's group of the church. There are about fifteen members and they meet once a month, on the first Tuesday evening.

This is an active, interested organization and they have done much good in every way. Their pledge to the church is $120.00 a year, and it was through their efforts that the organ, the chimes, the parsonage range, the interior painting of the church, and the new church lights were obtained. Recently they purchases new books for the Junior department of the Sunday School and gave money toward the purchase of the Christmas treats for the Primary department.

This group has charge of the Memorial book and the money that comes into the Memorial fund from donations.

Back to top


By Walter S. Camp

Monroe is a beautiful town located on the Skykomish river twenty miles east of Everett on the Stevens Pass Highway. It has between 1700 and 1800 people and is one of the few towns built on level ground that is never bothered by high water. It has well equipped school buildings, and the schools are in good hands. It has some of the finest land in the state and is mostly used for dairying; however, some small fruits such as strawberries and raspberries are raised. The State Reformatory is located about one mile out of town. This employs about 220 persons and has an inmate population of approximately 750.

There is still logging in the foothills which supports several varieties of mills in and near the town.

Monroe has more new and beautiful homes than any town of its size in this area, and the yards and parks are well kept by a people that are happy, friendly, and prosperous; having lived among them for almost fifty years, we are still glad that we came to Monroe.